Task Description Sheet ~
Writing a Children's Book
Use the following steps to help you with your first book!
Remember that this project takes time and effort!
Be patient and take one step at a time.
- Review six to eight children’s books. Use the Literature Review Sheet
to help you.
- Steps when reviewing.
- Look at the book carefully. Do you like the lay out? Do the pictures
catch your eye?
- Read the book. Does the story flow…is it interesting, funny, boring?
Think as a child. Why would a child like it or dislike it?
- Does the story send a message or theme?
- For what grade would this book be appropriate? Why?
- How do the other members of your group feel about the book?
- Review the five elements of the short story. (character development,
creation of plot, setting, theme, and style). Do the books you are reviewing
contain these elements? Give examples to your group.
- Pick a partner and start thinking out loud! How would YOU write
- Think about the five elements of the short story. How would your ideas
- Create a schematic map and outline ideas for your book. Share those
ideas with your partner and listen to your partner’s ideas as well.
- Begin writing your first draft and edit with your partner. (continue
with your second, third drafts, etc.)
- Now think about illustrations. What pictures will you use to make
your book more attractive? What sources will you use?
- Ask your partner to critique your final draft.
- Your final product should look "polished."
- Your final product should be word processed, well written, including
correct spelling, and punctuation.
- When your assignment is completed, prepare to present your book to
the class and to your Book Buddies.