Start your online tour of fearsome firespouting volcanoes:
Write your answers in the spaces below or on a separate sheet of paper.
1. A volcanic eruption occurs when pressures in the earth force hot liquefied rock called _____________________ to the volcano's surface.
2. What is the name of the largest volcano
on earth? In which state is it found?
3. Ther are five major kinds of volcanoes,
including the lava dome, the stratovolcano, and the caldera. How is
the caldera formed?
4. Prior to erupting, a volcano can release gases and produce small _________________________ .
5. How many active volcanoes are there in the world?
a. 50 b. 100 c. More than 500 d. More than 2,000
6. Earth is not the only volcanic planet. In fact, the planet in our solar system with the most volcanoes is ________________ .
7. Scientists can learn about a live volcano by sending _______________________ like Dante II deep into its crater.
8. A volcanic eruption causes serious environmental hazards. Name two of these hazards.
________________________and _____________________ .